Though not crucial, it is always helpful if you have a defense that consistently puts up 10+ points and sometimes 20+ points. For that type of defense, you will need to go with a DEF as early as Round 10 when most teams are still looking for backup RBs and WRs. Here is my list of defenses to consider.
Team Name, Bye Week:
- Seattle Seahawks 5 – Seattle’s game is strong. Their offense will keep their defense off of the field so they will be fresh and likely will not winded late in a game. They have a lot of big play ability but they are far from the Legion of Boom that they were 2-3 years ago.
- Carolina Panthers 7 – CAR defense will continue to be strong with Kuechly and Peppers leading the way.
- Cincinnati Bengals 9 – Atkin’s motor never stops running and they picked up a number of talented defensive players in the draft.
- Houston Texans 9 – If J.J. Watts is healthy, Texans will continue to be a dominant defense.
- Kansas City Chiefs 5 – KC has one of the best front 7 defensive players in the league when healthy. Last year, they were not very healthy. If they health, they are a top 5 DEF.
- Denver Broncos 11 – Ranked pretty low for the defending Superbowl Champions. This is only because they are no longer solid at QB but don’t let them fool you. Paxton Lynch looks really good and they have a great offense. Their Defense will not suffer.
- Arizona Cardinals 9 – Arizona has a high powered offense that should give their defense a lead to defend and the ability to make risks. This means turnovers, expect lots of them.
- New York Jets 11 – Jets have been solid defensively and no matter how rocky the offense looks, the defense always has a good showing.
- Green Bay Packers 4 – As long as Clay Matthews is not indicted on PED charges, we should see a stout DEF weekly by the Packers.
- Oakland Raiders 10 – The MACK-Truck and Raiders defense looks prime for a great year but need their offense to come up big as well.